Sunday, February 2, 2014

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Please note, as you see the headlines that scream "Hoffman found dead with a needle hanging out of his arm," perhaps a far more compassionate, empathetic, and respectful headline for the passing of a great artist, partner, father, actor, director, and creative collaborator, would read: "Hoffman lost his battle to the disease of addiction."  I remember years ago, before getting sober, reading in a magazine that Philip Seymour Hoffman was in recovery from this disease. I remember the profound affect it had on me, the identification that one of my heroes was just like me. That he had prevailed through the darkness and created a bright and successful career as an actor gave me hope. Thank you for that moment in time when you inspired me in your recovery, Mr. Hoffman, and for every time you've inspired me with your work. You will always be one of my heroes. Below is an incredible article on Philip Seymour Hoffman, with insight into his passions, his process, his depth, and his vulnerability.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/magazine/21hoffman-t.html?_r=0

No comments:

Post a Comment